I finished it!!!

Okay, I saw a post on Running with Scissors about her makeover. If of course she could wear anything she wanted to and get away with it. In her post was a photo from a UK website of this sweet jacket. I had to  have it, only one problem... 72.99 (sterling pounds) translated into over $100 US dollars. Sorry no can do at least not when I am an imaginative sewer. I found a pattern that mimicked the lines on the front and back and began to recreate this look on my own.
In progress with creative bustling happening.
I used Simplicity pattern # 2581 cropped just below the waist and added corseting  loops in the back and  then made up my own bustle pattern. I had to get really creative with the bustling because the fabric I used was purchased at a garage sale for $3.00 many years ago. There was not enough to do this the way one should be doing it. I made up for some of the missing fabric by using a contrasting solid black for the lining of the collar and center front panels. I think I will do this on future jackets as well.
Here is the finished front on the dress form.
Here is the back on me, my boys helped me with this one.
I have a few things I would change given a chance to recreate this one. First, I would have more fabric to make the bustle properly; second, I wouldn't make the loops go so far up to the shoulders as they are here; third I would pull in the shoulder seams  and sleeve puffs a little to make the top a little less warrior like. All in all, I love this top and will be making more for sure. After I get my corset made.... and some more spats... and I think I need more time LOL!
Tell me what you think of this first attempt at a total fashion DIY.

Comments

Lidia said…
It's wonderful! I love the contrast of the solid black collar against the stripes. You're going to look fabulous wearing this. Lidia

Popular posts from this blog

Back in The Saddle

Two Designs released...

SUMMER TIME